31 March 2008

Week 13

I only work 2 days this week, and one of the days is already behind me! Consequently I have 5 consecutive days to work hard, study, and [hopefully] finish my online Winter classes from BYU-I! I signed up for 13 credits this semester, which results in a LOT of reading and even more writing. And math (but just for Astronomy Lab). Soo much math! In fact, I must include a formula that I used extensively in my last assignment!

Doppler Equation:

c|
Δλ|/λ0 = V

Capice? Buono!

C: The speed of light, per kilometer, per second (3 x 10^5 km/sec)
Δ
: Delta, stands for the measured spectral line of a galaxy
λ: The wavelength in the Sun.
V: Speed of Galaxy.

I used this equation to determine 18 speeds of different galaxies, using wavelength measurements that I attained using a redshift simulation program. It's kind of interesting, but am I REALLY going to use this someday?!?!

I have 2 or 3 more labs to finish, so much reading for Chinese Literature and Chinese Culture, some small writing assignments for Social Problems, and a couple more quizzes and a final for Astronomy. And a LOT of writing for the Chinese classes!!! I'm actually working on one of the papers right now. I'm writing about the Tang dynasty! Very interesting! That reminds me...Tang Poetry! I might post a paper I wrote concerning a couple of great poets from the Tang era! It's not too long.

I'm starting to feel sad about leaving Staples. I really do enjoy working there, and my coworkers and managers are great! They're awesome people and somehow became my friends!!! Now I'm just leaving them!!! What if I never see them again?!? Well, I guess it really doesn't matter, because I'll be living 700+ miles away anyways with my BYU-I friends, so no worries whatsoever!

In fact, I will be moving to Rexburg again in exactly 18 days from now! I am so excited! There is only one spot available at my apartment. I'm also on the BYU-I dance board, as the Dance Board Secretary! That'll be fun! And I'm still debating whether to take that University Police job or not. Maybe if it doesn't take up too much time! With 17 credits, dance board, and everything else, a job that requires too much time might not be a good idea. But I might give it a try!!! It'd probably be fun!

Last night I watched the most amazing movie ever!!! It was a Merian C. Cooper silent film from 1924 called Grass. It was about a tribe in Iran, their resilience and determination concerning their ROUGH nomadic lifestyle, making vigorous journeys to lands with grass to sustain their livestock and life! It was so interesting! It was actually more of a documentary, but just as fascinating as ever! I would have died if I were one of them!

Well, I don't know what to write now. My brain is totally sidetracked towards the mid-Tang Dynasty and Empress Wu!!! She was not a popular woman, apparently! I really hope I can finish this paper before I go to bed tonight!!!! I have sooo much to do!!!!!!!

Buona notte! Ciao!

- -
Alexis Nicole Pomeroy

3 comments:

  1. I am really sad about you leaving, but I also know how great it will be for you there. I will miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya know I thought teaching 6th grade math was hard...I stand corrected! Always an inspiration. Love ya, Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. You goof ball....when did you get a blog???

    ReplyDelete