04 February 2012

Walking On The Sea



I love the account of Jesus walking on water. (Matthew 14:22-33)  When the Apostles initially saw Christ walking towards them on the water, they were troubled and feared that it was a spirit.  But Jesus called out to them and told them it was Him and to be not afraid.  Peter responded by asking if he could walk out to Him on the water, and he did so for a little bit.  But there was boisterous wind and the sea was tossed with waves, and Peter became afraid, causing him to start sinking.  He cried out saying, “Lord, save me,” and Christ immediately reached out to him.


Doctrine & Covenants 88:67 says:  “And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things.”

This scripture relates well with Peter walking on the sea.  President Howard W Hunter that said:
Peter sprang over the vessel’s side and into the troubled waves, and while his eyes were fixed upon the Lord, the wind might toss his hair and the spray might drench his robes, but all was well. Only when with wavering faith he removed his glance from the Master to look at the furious waves and the black gulf beneath him, only then did he begin to sink. Again, like most of us, he cried, “Lord, save me.” Nor did Jesus fail him. He stretched out his hand and grasped the drowning disciple with the gentle rebuke, “O thou of little faith, why didst thou doubt?
“It is my firm belief that if as individual people, as families, communities, and nations, we could, like Peter, fix our eyes on Jesus, we too might walk triumphantly over the swelling waves of disbelief and remain unterrified amid the rising winds of doubt. But if we turn away our eyes from him in whom we must believe, as it is so easy to do and the world is so much tempted to do, if we look to the power and fury of those terrible and destructive elements around us rather than to him who can help and save us, then we shall inevitably sink in a sea of conflict and sorrow and despair.
“At such times when we feel the floods are threatening to drown us and the deep is going to swallow up the tossed vessel of our faith, I pray we may always hear amid the storm and the darkness that sweet utterance of the Savior of the world: ‘Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid’(Matt. 14:27)” (Ensign, Nov. 1992).
As we keep our eyes fixed on Christ, we will be able to endure waves and storms in our own lives.  I’m grateful for the Savior and the strength He gives me.  I hope that I can keep my eye single to God.  I know that as I strive to do so, I will be blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment