21 November 2013

Week 9: Entrepreneurial Journal

Lessons Learned
This week’s mentor session helped me to see that my idea of starting a home daycare business is much more probable that I originally thought.  Yes, there will be challenges, but there are simple, effective solutions to address those challenges. 
Challenge 1:
The first challenge would be the time commitment involved with starting a business.  I would love to start a business from home, but I also want to be able to spend the time and attention needed by my daughter and husband.  I already find it difficult to get things done, such as working, homework, housework, food preparation, etc. while caring for my family – I’m not sure if I can fit more things into my schedule right now! 
Solution:
My concern of time commitment can be alleviated through family support and delegation.  If my husband is willing to take on some of the responsibilities at home, I would have some time available to focus on my business.  I think balance and delegation are the solutions.
Challenge 2:
We are trying to save up money so we can buy a house, so I would prefer limiting any investments or expenditures right now.  I know that starting a business does require some investment and I could see returns after some time.
Solution:
We can set aside a specific amount each month that is solely for my business.  That way we can keep saving for a house while still providing some financial resources for setting up my home daycare.  Another option would be to get a little loan from my mom and pay her back over time with my revenues.  A good thing about having a daycare service is that there are very little investment requirements!
Challenge 3:
I don’t want to be tied down to my business – I like having the flexibility of traveling and visiting family when I want to.  I know with some businesses, this would not be a concern.  But for my idea of starting a home daycare business, I would need to be there and available to take care of the children on a consistent basis.
Solution:
I can address this concern by arranging a small team to cover for me on days I am unavailable.  My sister would be a great option for this!  I could also ask a few friends if they would be willing to work some days and have a network of backup workers.


As shown above, starting a business does involve risks and challenges.  But these challenges can be addressed and concerns can be resolved through an entrepreneurial  mindset of creativity and determination!

No comments:

Post a Comment