15 January 2012

The Beatitudes


I love the Beatitudes – they are one of my very favorite parts of the New Testament.  Matthew 5:1-12 contains the beautiful Sermon of the Mount that Jesus Christ delivered.  This Sermon is the greatest sermon ever given.  It contains blessings known as the Beatitudes.

The word Beatitude comes from the Latin word beatus.  The word beatus is defined as “to be fortunate,” “to be happy,” or “to be blessed.”  I think this word is very fitting, due to the truth of each Beatitude and the blessing accompanying each one. 

In the Beatitudes, you will find a lot of “blessed” and “blessedness” going on.  According to the LDS Guide tothe Scriptures, blessed and blessedness is explained “to confer divine favor upon someone. Anything contributing to true happiness, well-being, or prosperity is a blessing.”  This stands true for the Beatitudes.  They definitely are a divine favor to each of us and they definitely contribute to true happiness, well-being, and prosperity.


The Beatitudes
Blessed Are the Poor in Spirit
Blessed Are They That Mourn
Blessed Are the Meek
Blessed Are They That Hunger and Thirst After Righteousness
Blessed Are the Pure in Heart
Blessed Are the Merciful
Blessed Are the Peacemakers
Blessed Are They Which Are Persecuted

That is obviously a very basic list of them.  I want to focus on three of them and share more about them.

1. "Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4

This is a blessing that is present in anyone’s lives.  And we all can receive comfort through our faith in Jesus Christ.  He knows exactly how we feel as we face difficulties or challenges and He knows exactly how to help us.  As we turn to Him and rely on him for strength and help, we will be comforted through the Holy Ghost.  I know that because of Jesus Christ’s Atonement, I will never be alone or helpless.  Jesus Christ will always be there for me and I can receive peace and comfort from the companionship of the Holy Ghost.

 2. "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.” – Matthew 5:6 

As we hunger and thirst after righteousness, we will be lead down the path of Christ.  As we seek out to study, pray, take the Sacrament and attend the Temple, our spirits will be filled.  I’ve seen this to be true in my own life – as I make a continued effort to pray daily, study God’s words in the scriptures,  go to church and the Temple, I have an increased desire to follow Christ and to come closer to Him.  I also feel closer to Him and feel the Spirit more strongly in my life.

3. “Blessed are peacemakers: for they shall see God.” – Matthew 5:8

Jesus Christ is the Prince of Peace.  It is through following Jesus Christ and His example that we can return to God.  As we strive to be peacemakers in our own lives, we will be blessed with peace and the happiness that comes from following Christ’s example.  When I’ve had the opportunity to be a peacemaker at home, work, ,or school, I have benefitted from the peace of mind and heart that follows.  I know that I can be a good influence and make a difference in the lives of others, as well as my own.

I love the teachings and principles that Christ taught and I know that following them will bring us happiness and peace.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article about the beatitudes! I never knew about the Latin roots of the word. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete